It is a treatment procedure for disorders and diseases of the body parts that are involved in digestion. Body parts included in the gastrointestinal tract are thestomach, oesophagus, large and small intestines, and rectum. The GI surgery may also be carried out on the gallbladder, pancreas, and liver.
With the help of surgery, cancerous or benign growth or any part of the body (that has been damaged) can be removed. It may be used to fix a health problem such as a hernia (which is a protrusion from a weak spot or hole in the abdominal wall). Minor surgical procedures can be used for screening and diagnosing problems of the digestive tract.
Dr. Sandeep Sabnis, an experienced gastroenterologist in Nashik, performs surgery to treat mesenteric vascular issues, such as portal hypertension caused by extrahepatic portal vein obstruction, non-cirrhotic portal fibrosis, and cirrhosis.
Among allGI conditions, the following are commonly treated with surgery by gastroenterologist specialists in Nashik:
• GI cancers, including colon cancer: Gastrointestinal surgery is performed to remove malignant tumours in the GI tract and parts of the gastrointestinal systemthat have been affected by cancer. For example, Gastroenterologists may remove a cancerous tumour along with parts of the liver, intestine, or pancreas with cancer.
• Inflammatory bowel disease:If you have been affected byinflammatory bowel disease, you will feel excruciating pain because your immune system targets the intestines and causes them to be inflamed. For a comprehensive treatment, you need to see the best gastroenterologist in Nashik, who will perform a bowel resection that involves removing the damaged parts and reconnection of the healthy parts.
• Appendicitis: Your gastrointestinal specialist may decide to remove the appendix (appendectomy) when it gets infected and inflamed.
• Diverticular disease: A small pocket or pouch-like structure (called diverticulum) may develop in the colon, which sometimes becomes swelled up and cause pain (a condition called diverticulitis). Although it usually does not require surgery, your stomach specialist in Nashikmight need to perform a bowel resection surgery if the diverticulitis becomes intense.
• Gallbladder disease: The most common problem people have with the gallbladder is the gallstone. If you have been diagnosed with gallstones, surgical removal of the gallbladder (called cholecystectomy) is possibly the best treatment option.
• Rectal prolapse:GI surgery is what the best gastroenterologist in Nashik would recommend to those suffering from rectal prolapse. This medical condition causes part of the intestine to come out through the anus.
If you have any digestive system discomfort, then it is time to pay a visit to a stomach specialist in Nashik. The gastroenterologist would perform a surgical procedure, known as endoscopy, to diagnose your digestive tract’s problems.
Gastrointestinal surgery to remove a diseased body part or tumour can help repair damage and eventually prove lifesaving. It also helps refine your quality of life if you have not been benefited from dietary changes and other treatment methods.A minor surgical procedure called a colonoscopy, for example, can detect colon cancer quite early, allowing the doctors to cure it. Therefore, you should get the cancer screening done on time.
Like any other surgery, GI surgery also comes with few risks and side effects, including the following:
• Pain: There may be some pain and soreness during the recovery
• Infection:Whenever surgery is performed, infections can enter the body through the opening. Although experienced gastroenterologists keep things clean and sterile during surgery, there is always a risk of infection.
• Bleeding and clots: Sometimes, the surgery cuts may continue to bleed, causing the recovery to take longer.The body may also form a clot where the operation was done, and it could block an essential blood vessel to the brain, heart, or lungs.
• Reaction to anaesthesia: You mayhave side effects like post-operative vomiting and nausea induced by anaesthetics.
Dr. Sabnis, the top gastroenterologist in Nashik, performs the surgery by opening the body using specialized tools like a scalpel. He also has proficiency in minimally invasive surgical procedures that require a scope and small surgery tools. Surgery is done inany of the following ways:
• Open surgery: The gastrointestinal specialist makes a large cut for opening up the body.
• Laparoscopic surgery: The surgeon performs several small cuts and sees inside the patient’s body by inserting a camera through one of the cuts and surgical instruments through the others.